Thursday, May 20, 2010

DAY ONE: JUICE FEASTING AND FASTING FOR 30 DAYS (at least!)

Well today is the day: MAY 20th 2010! Doesn't that date just look great! It sure does feel great! After knowing in my gut for quite some time now that I needed to do a Green Juice Fast, for reasons I'll get into shortly, I am happy to say, "Let the journey begin!" I have decided to add on a period of juice feasting before my fast as well, so I can have a longer healing process but also continue, as normal, to work and function.

I have committed to a minimum of 30 days and will reassess my healing, energy, strength and my physical, emotional and spiritual body after this period to decide the best plan of "next course action." I have also made a commitment to myself and my readers to track, log, disclose, share and experience this journey as openly, honestly and humbly as possible.

So why am I doing this? Good question. I have been detoxing, cleansing and fasting annually and bi-annually since I was 21 years old. That's almost 9 years now. I've done liver cleanses, whole body detoxes, herbal cleanses, spiritual yoga fasts, all types of juice fasts and whatever I felt my body needed at the moment. I have been consistent with at least one and within the last 3 years at least two juice fasts a year. My my recent two fasts, in the last 12 months, were a 14 day Green Juice Fast in June of 2009 and a 7 day Green Juice Fast in November of 2009 followed by a 30 Day Phase 1 Detox (which to simplify is an all raw food detox with no sugar, no grains, no fruit, nothing sweet). Needless to say it has been six months since my last fast and 5 months since my last detox and my body is crying out for some extra TLC!

I think that answers why I'm feasting and fasting in general but let's get more specific, I mean who doesn't love all the insider, personal details! Blogs are like reality TV but in words! It's great. But let's put it out there, this isn't going to be nearly as juicy (haha, "juicy", sorry) as "The Bachelor" or "The Hills." I couldn't create all that drama with me and a bunch of fruits and vegetables if I tried! Ok, moving on. So I would like to disclose the reasons why I'm fasting in my favorite form: A LIST! It will keep me from babbling and give you an idea of what the last 12 months have look like in a very brief overview!

1. The obvious: I fast twice a year and it's been six months (at least a 7 day fast was due).

2. The most pressing: I broke my back (specifically my coccyx) in the 3rd week of August last year and because it went undiagnosed for 6 months the healing process has been less than perfect (that's me being positive!). I think no. 2 deserves a few more sentences; I was in Barcelona at the time traveling on my unbelievable 4 month tour of Europe and I had just taken an amazing yoga class! I was high on life and had been shopping at the markets all day with my 6 bags of fresh ingredients, life was good. My energy was through the roof, as it normally is after a great yoga class, and I briskly walked to the stairs and started down. I'm sure you can all figure out what happened next; old building, marble stairs, very steep stair case, little (grip less) flip flops, 6 bags of groceries and way too much energy! I found myself at the bottom of the stairs in shock. It was one of those moments when you are just praying not to see a bone popping out of your skin and desperately making sure you have feeling in all parts of your body. I was on my own for that ONE night (typical ;) so I made it through the pain, the shock, the pity party I had for myself and finally got myself back to the hotel. I iced it and rested and called my ER doctor friend and asked "could it be broken, are you sure??" He told me I was fine, that I wouldn't be moving if it was broken and that I "was probably being overly worried and slightly dramatic!" There was a bruise the size of Texas on my back for quite some time (luckily my well worked on tan made it much less offensive). Long story short I kept going and was told it was probably just a bruise and made the mistake of not seeing anyone. I mean I was only 6 weeks into my trip and was on vacation adrenaline high! I was swimming the next day and running about 7 days later. The swimming, running, hiking, biking, beach yoga and all the activities that go along with summer/fall explorations went on for the rest of my time in Europe and basically up until the 2nd week of February where my body PHYSICALLY stopped me from doing anything more! Let me just say; thank goodness my body was strong at the time and I had just some off some good triathlon training followed by a two week fast and daily yoga. For that I am so grateful. I don't want to think about what "could have happened." I also realize it could have been a lot worse and am thankful to still be working, smiling and getting around quite well. I am also thankful I decided to do another juice fast back in November and a 30 day detox and was seeing a chiropractor. All of these things could have been taken out of the equation and I wouldn't want to know what the outcome could have been!

3. The residual: My body needs a break. After coming back from Europe I got my life and my business back in action and from December on it has been non-stop work and very little personal care and attention. I think as a practitioner we have to be so very conscious of our own health and healing. We live a super "healthy" lifestyle that is more or less second nature on many levels but we are also giving all of our energy day in and day out. It is very easy to get caught in the trap of forgetting about the importance of our own changing body, on all levels, and addressing those new and growing needs. A healthy lifestyle and what is needed to maintain one is never black and white and we must always be conscious of the ever-evolving human body, emotional body and spiritual body.

4. My back is broken! Well since my back is still healing I haven't been on my usual triathlon training regime which allows me a much longer fasting period as I won't be on a 6-7 day training schedule with 2 hour runs and 5-6 hour bike rides. I would like to mention that with this beautiful weather it has been hard not to miss those workouts. On the flip side, it has been a really beautiful experience seeing how full my life has been without training and being confident in the fact that I don't hold on to any one thing to determine who I am. To be able to let go (even if forced into it) of something so important to my "ego" has been a blessing. I will most definitely go back to Ironman training and still plan on doing a full Ironman soon but am grateful for this perspective.

5. To make some room! My life has felt like an overflowing backpack lately, probably literally and figuratively. Literally because I'm in a good amount of pain most days (from my back) and figuratively because I have piled so many responsibilities into that bag! Starting a business on your own is no easy task, but when coupled with supporting a loved one (my boyfriend, being in a new country, with all the joys of getting a Visa is still not working) can be very stressful and physically draining. And don't forget my back is still broken and I literally am in physical pain. To complicate life, as most of us love to do, I recently fostered a rescue dog! Now I'm taking care of an abandoned Englishman AND an abandoned dog ;) who both require food, love and way too much attention! I wish I could say no, but my heart just hurts when I think about abused dogs and animals. I am also in the building stages of creating a Raw Chocolate Line, recently volunteered at my CSA (community supported agriculture) to start teaching Introduction to Raw Food & Nutrition classes as well as "Uncooking" classes and this summer will start flying all over the country and even the globe for work! The list goes on but I will spare you all of the details...at least for now that is ;) Needless to say, not having to think about my own personal food intake, prepare it (for myself that is ;) and emotionally be tied up in it will free up a lot of my time!

6. Cheers to Health and Personal Transformation! One of my favorite reasons to fast is for all the miraculous transformations that happen! Forget about all the cellular rejuvenation, healing and rebuilding going on (that we will discuss in future posts), but I'm talking about the intellectual, creative energy that breaks through and thrives. It feels as if you are operating at your highest level. I mean who doesn't love that or who wouldn't want that! For me personally, each fast allows me to see the world's, my own and every one's around me unlimited greatness. And it's just so clear and in focus! Why would I not want to bring that into my life, into my practice and into the lives of all those close to me!

OK, there is my very long list of 6 very long reasons why I'm starting this journey of juice feasting and fasting over the next 30 days. I am excited and looking toward the future but also going to take this time to insightfully appreciate and explore the past 12 months. I have been blessed with finding my true dharma and pursuing it, studying and expanding my knowledge with some of the most switched on people in the world, traveling the world with friends and family, finding international love that followed me home, coming back to a home, friends and family I adore and cherish, moving to a new location in my beloved NYC, growing a practice and a business that means the world to me and that I truly love doing and being graced with the wisdom, experience and support to heal my own body.

Let the journey and the healing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment